lucene-lucene-net-dev mailing list archives

From "Dotzenrod, Kevin" <kdotzen...@marketwatch.com>
Subject RE: Apache Lucene.Net.2.3.1 build 001 "Alpha" is now available
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2008 14:19:58 GMT
I'd like to participate, what's the best way to do so?

Thanks,

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: George Aroush [mailto:george@aroush.net]
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 10:14 PM
To: lucene-net-user@incubator.apache.org;
lucene-net-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Apache Lucene.Net.2.3.1 build 001 "Alpha" is now available

Hi folks,

If you are subscribed to the commit notifications mailing list
(lucene-net-commits[AT]incubator.apache.org), by now you must have
received
several emails of new check-in's.  No, it's not spam, it's Lucene.Net
coming
back to life again.

As many of you know, as of December 2007, soon after when I labeled
Lucene.Net 2.1 as "Release Candidate", I stopped working and commenting
on
this project.  This was a difficult decision for me to make because, my
work
on Lucene.Net is done during my free time without any compensation --
this
isn't easy to keep up with due to family and work obligation.  Since
then, I
have received several emails encouraging me to continue effort and as of
few
months ago, I have been silently (and slowly) working on porting Lucene
2.3.1 to C# with the help of folks from MySpace.com.  So, I'm back
re-committed to this project.  However, I want to make it clear that I'm
still doing so on my own free time with no compensation [1].

With the help of Doug Sale of MySpace.com, we now have Apache Lucene.Net
2.3.1 "Alpha" available.  Doug, took my initial raw port of Lucene.Net
2.3.1, and got it to a compilable and runnable state.  This saved me a
lot
of time and allowed me to work on porting the Test code, which Doug also
took over and got it to a compilable and runnable state.  As a result,
we
now have Lucene.Net 2.3.1 "alpha"; here is the release notes about it
(which
is in the HISTORY.txt file):

24Jun08:
	- Dev Release:  Apache Lucene.Net.2.3.1 build 001 "Alpha"
	- Port: Ported teh "Core" and "Demo" code from Java to C#.
	- Issues: Test code is not released yet.
	- Note: Requires Visual Studio 2005 or later and .NET 2.0 or
later.
	- Note: There is no 2.3.0 or 2.2 release (to correspond with the
Java Lucene release).

Please grab a copy from SVN and give it a spin.

Looking ahead, lets work together to keep Lucene.Net back in shape again
and
prepare it for graduation.  This, requires that we build a community as
well
as nominate folks for committership.  Doug Sale defiantly qualifies, as
well
as DIGY who was very active addressing port issue with Lucene.Net 2.1.
If
anyone wants to gain committership status, this is your chance to
participate toward that effort.

Best regards,

-- George

[1] If anyone has side projects in which I can offer my services, please
don't hesitate to contact me at george@aroush.net.  Thanks!