lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From baris.ka...@oracle.com
Subject Re: Index-time boosting: Deprecated setBoost method
Date Fri, 18 Oct 2019 17:45:14 GMT
Uwe,-

Thanks very much for the reply.

Is there a working example for this? Is this mentioned in the Lucene
Javadocs or any other docs so that i can look it?

this methodology seems sort of like discouraging using index time boosting.

Previous setBoost method call was fine and easy to use.

Did it have some performance issues and then is that why it was deprecated?

FunctionScoreQuery usage with MultiFieldQueryParser would also be nice where

MultiFieldQuery already has boosts field to do this in its constructor.

Maybe it is not needed with MultiFieldQueryParser.

Best regards

On 10/18/19 1:28 PM, Uwe Schindler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> that's not true. You can do index time boosting, but you need to do that using a separate
field. You just index a numeric docvalues field (which may contain a long or float value per
document). Later you wrap your query with some FunctionScoreQuery (e.g., use the Javascript
function query syntax in the expressions module). This allows you to compile a javascript
function that calculated the final score based on the score returned by the inner query and
combines them with docvalues that were indexed per document.