lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From baris.ka...@oracle.com
Subject Re: Index-time boosting: Deprecated setBoost method
Date Mon, 21 Oct 2019 16:45:14 GMT
Hi,-

Thanks and i appreciate the disccussion.

Let me please  ask this way, i think i give too much info at one time:

Currently i have this:

Field  f1= new TextField("field1", "string1", Field.Store.YES);

doc.add(f1);
f1.setBoost(2.0f);

Field f2 = new TextField("field2", "string2", Field.Store.YES);

doc.add(f2);

f2.setBoost(1.0f);

But this fails with Lucene 7.7.2.

Probably it is more efficient and more flexible to fix this by using
BoostQuery.

However, what could be the fix with index time boosting? the code in my

Best regards

On 10/21/19 12:34 PM, Uwe Schindler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sorry I don't fully understand what you intend to do? If the boost values per field are
static and used with exactly same value for every document, it's not needed a index time.
You can just boost the field on the query side (e.g. using BoostQuery). Boosting every document
with the same static values is an anti-pattern, that's something better suited for the query
side - as you are more flexible.

> If you need a different boost value per document, you can save that boost value in the
index per document using a docvalues field (this consumes extra space, of course). Then you
need the ExpressionQuery on the query side. But just because it looks like Javascript, it's
not slow. The syntax is compiled to bytecode and directly included into the query execution
as a dynamic java class, so it's very fast.

> In short:
> - If you need to have a different boost factor per field name that's constant for all
documents, apply it at query time with BoostQuery.
> - If you have to boost specific documents (e.g., top selling products), index a numeric
docvalues field per document. On the query side you can use different query types to modify
the score of each result based on the docvalues field. That can be done with Expression modules
(using compiled Javascript) or by another query in Lucene that operates on ValueSource (e.g.,
FunctionQuery). The first one is easier to use for complex formulas.4

> Uwe
>
> -----
> Uwe Schindler
> Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.thetaphi.de&d=DwIFaQ&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PZh8Bv7qIrMUB65eapI_JnE&r=nlG5z5NcNdIbQAiX-BKNeyLlULCbaezrgocEvPhQkl4&m=70RoM6loHhMGsp95phVzGQf8w5JxW7gXT5XnleMKrOs&s=td7cUfd22mXljSuvkUPXDunkIs_eO4GxdvHHxD2CTk0&e=

// SimpleBindings just maps variables to SortField instances

>> SimpleBindings bindings = new SimpleBindings();

>> bindings.add(new SortField("_boost1", SortField.Type.LONG));

// These
>> have to LONG type i think since NumericDocValuesField accepts "long"
>> type only, am i right? Can this be DOUBLE type?
>>
>> bindings.add(new SortField("_boost2", SortField.Type.LONG));

// same
>> question here
>>
>> // create a query that matches based on body:contents but

>> // scores using expr

>> Query query = new FunctionScoreQuery(

>>       new TermQuery(new Term("field1", "term_to_look_for")),

>> expr.getDoubleValuesSource(bindings));

searcher.search(query, 10);

>> === end of code snippet ===
>>

>> Best regards
>>

>> On 10/21/19 11:05 AM, baris.kazar@oracle.com wrote:
>>> Hi,-
>>>
>>>   i would like to ask the following to make it clearer (for me at least):
>>>
>>> Document doc = new Document();

Field  f1= new TextField("field1", "string1", Field.Store.YES);

>>> doc.add(f1);
f1.setBoost(2.0f);

>>> Field f2 = new TextField("field2", "string2", Field.Store.YES);

>>> doc.add(f2);

>>> f2.setBoost(1.0f);

>>> This turns into this where _boost1 field is associated with field1 and
>>>
>>> _boost2 field is associated with field2 field:
>>>

>>> In Indexing code:
>>>
>>> Field  f1= new TextField("field1", "string1", Field.Store.YES);

>>> Field _boost1 = new NumericDocValuesField(“field1”, 2L);
>>> doc.add(_boost1);
>>>
>>> // If this boost value needs to be stored, a separate storedField
>>> instance needs to be added as well
>>> … ( i will post this soon)
>>>
>>> Field _boost2 = new NumericDocValuesField(“field2”, 1L);
>>> doc.add(_boost2);
>>>
>>> // If this boost value needs to be stored, a separate storedField
>>> instance needs to be added as well
>>> … ( i will post this soon)
>>>

>>> Now, in the searching code (i.e., at query time) should i need the
>>> FunctionScoreQuery because in this case
>>>
>>> the boost is just a constant value but not a function? However,
>>> constant value can be argued to be a function with the same value all
>>> the time, too.
>>>

>>> Expression expr = JavascriptCompiler.compile(“_boost");

// SimpleBindings just maps variables to SortField instances

>>> SimpleBindings bindings = new SimpleBindings();

>>> bindings.add(new SortField("_boost1", SortField.Type.SCORE));

>>> // create a query that matches based on body:contents but

>>> // scores using expr

>>> Query query = new FunctionScoreQuery(

>>>      new TermQuery(new Term("field1", "term_to_look_for")),

>>> expr.getDoubleValuesSource(bindings));

searcher.search(query, 10);

>>> So, if boost is a single constant value, do we need the Javascript
>>> part above?
>>>
>>> Best regards

>> 3A__lucene.apache.org_core_7-5F7-
>> 5F2_expressions_org_apache_lucene_expressions_Expression.html&d=DwID
>> aQ&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PZh8Bv7qIrMUB65eapI_JnE&r=nlG5z5NcNdI
>> bQAiX-
>> BKNeyLlULCbaezrgocEvPhQkl4&m=MR2S9Z9HEge6s665mtGOFRHKGmuiVYkjp
>> 4tXOciYl7A&s=tMCjb5H5KivfJsp-BfABonpjelgp6hn9cBg2GScCmic&e=

>> 3A__lucene.apache.org_core_7-5F7-
>> 5F2_expressions_org_apache_lucene_expressions_Expression.html&d=DwIF
>> aQ&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PZh8Bv7qIrMUB65eapI_JnE&r=nlG5z5NcNdI
>> bQAiX-
>> BKNeyLlULCbaezrgocEvPhQkl4&m=6m6i5zZXPZNP6DyVv_xG4vXnVTPEdfKLeLS
>> vGjEXbyw&s=B5_kGwRIbAoGqL0-SVR9r3t78E5XUuzLT37TeyV-bv8&e=

>> added
>> for
using index time
If
and
>> change
You just give
>> 3A__lucene.apache.org_core_7-5F7-
>> 5F2_expressions_org_apache_lucene_expressions_Expression.html&d=DwIF
>> aQ&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PZh8Bv7qIrMUB65eapI_JnE&r=nlG5z5NcNdI
>> bQAiX-
>> BKNeyLlULCbaezrgocEvPhQkl4&m=6m6i5zZXPZNP6DyVv_xG4vXnVTPEdfKLeLS
>> vGjEXbyw&s=B5_kGwRIbAoGqL0-SVR9r3t78E5XUuzLT37TeyV-bv8&e=
>> be

docvalues field
>> document.

>> 3A__www.thetaphi.de&d=DwIFaQ&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PZh8Bv7qIr
>>>>>>>>>>
>> BKNeyLlULCbaezrgocEvPhQkl4&m=6rVk8db2H8dAcjS3WCWmAPd08C7JQCvZ
>> 8W80yE9L5xY&s=zgKmnmP9gLG4DlEnAfDdtBMEzPXtHNVYojxXIKEnQgs&e=

is not possible since

now in Lucene.

wrote:
> [...]
i am figuring out the