lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Adrien Grand <jpou...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RAMDirectory or Redis
Date Sun, 02 Dec 2018 09:35:16 GMT
Hi Joe,

Elasticsearch used to have an option to run with RAMDirectory but it
was removed long ago:
https://github.com/elastic/elasticsearch/pull/8536.

The recommended approach is to use MMapDirectory and to give
sufficient memory to the filesystem cache so that the most important
data-structures from the index fit in memory. For instance the
Elasticsearch docs recommend giving at most 50% of the system memory
to the JVM and I think Uwe goes even further and recommends giving at
most one third of the system memory to the JVM.
On Sun, Dec 2, 2018 at 10:22 AM Joe MA <mrjama@comcast.net> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Has anyone looked into using Redis or some other in-memory cache with Lucene?
> It seems that ElasticSearch may do this.  Are there advantages to doing this versus,
say, the RAMDirectory class?

> Thanks in advance,

Adrien