lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From neotorand <neotor...@gmail.com>
Subject Decision on Number of shards and collection
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2018 10:16:28 GMT
Hi Team
First of all i take this opportunity to thank you all for creating a
beautiful place where people can explore ,learn and debate.

I have been on my knees for couple of days to decide on this.

When i am creating a solr cloud eco system i need to decide on number of
shards and collection.
What are the best practices for taking this decisions.

I believe heterogeneous data can be indexed to same collection and i can
have multiple shards for the index to be partitioned.So whats the need of a
second collection?. yes when collection size grows i should look for more
collection.what exactly that size is? what KPI drives the decision of having
more collection?Any pointers or links for best practice.

when should i go for multiple shards?
yes when shard size grows.Right? whats the size and how do i benchmark.

I am sorry for my question if its already asked but googled all the ecospace
quora,stackoverflow,lucid

Regards
Neo

--