lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Charlie Hull <char...@flax.co.uk>
Subject Re: Link Lucene index with Adobe reader
Date Tue, 06 Feb 2018 13:32:03 GMT
On 06/02/2018 08:22, Anuradha Rajaram (RBEI/ETB14) wrote:
> Dear Team,
>
> We are using Lucene for indexing the PDF. We need to link generated lucene index with
Adobe reader.

> Current Approach:
> Placed both the generated lucene index and PDF in  the folder. Open the PDF and search
for a word using Advance search in Adobe reader. Whole PDF is searched without using lucene
index. Close Adobe reader.
> Open the PDF again in adobe reader and do Advance search. This time PDF is searched using
>
> Expected Approach:
> Open the PDF and search for a word using Advance search in Adobe reader. Whole PDF is
searched using lucene index from first search.
> Can this be achieved? How can we link the generated lucene index with Adobe reader?

Hi Anuradha,

The only way to make this work would be to develop a plugin for Adobe
Reader that used a Lucene index of the content. I built such a plugin
many years ago using the Acrobat SDK, although this used its own
indexing format - it took quite a lot of development. (you can find some
information about it at
https://www.google.com/search?q=profileskim+acrobat - sadly ProfileSkim
is no longer available).

Bear in mind that generally when people talk about Lucene indexes of
PDFs, they refer to indexes of the text extracted from PDFs using Apache
Tike, PDFBox or another third party tool. This is *not* the same as
having direct access to the PDF content from within Acrobat and I thus
suspect you'd get slightly different behaviour.

Best

Charlie

--
Charlie Hull