lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Adrien Grand <jpou...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: COST vs SCORE vs WEIGHT
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2017 15:56:56 GMT
Hi Vadim,

A Weight is the specialization of a query for a given index reader. It has
access to index statistics that will help compute scores for instance.

A Scorer is the specialization of a weight for a given segment. It can
iterate over matches and compute scores.

The cost of a scorer is the expected number of matching documents for this
scorer. It is useful in order to run operations in the optimal order

Your observation of the behaviour of your BooleanQuery with SHOULD clauses
looks wrong: the score of the boolean query is the sum of the scores of the
matching sub queries.