lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Krishnamurthy, Kannan" <Kannan.Krishnamur...@cengage.com>
Subject Re: Lucene 6.1.0 index upgrade
Date Fri, 10 Nov 2017 20:09:07 GMT
Never mind my previous question, understood what you meant about the impact to norms after
looking at the uses of CreatedMajorVersion in various Similarity classes. It almost looks
re-indexing is the only option here. This will be quite a big change to embrace for the users
of addIndexes(). (

Many thanks Mike.

On 11/10/17, 1:06 PM, "Krishnamurthy, Kannan" <Kannan.Krishnamurthy@cengage.com> wrote:

    Will the norms still be a concern if the 6.1.0 index was upgraded using the IndexUpgrader?
If not would we upgrade first then fake the index creation version to be 7.0.0 ?

    Thanks again.
    Kannan
    From: Michael McCandless <lucene@mikemccandless.com>
    Date: Friday, November 10, 2017 at 6:41 AM
    To: Lucene Users <java-user@lucene.apache.org>, "Krishnamurthy, Kannan" <Kannan.Krishnamurthy@cengage.com>
    Subject: Re: Lucene 6.1.0 index upgrade

    OK I'm sorry but I think you'll have to re-index; e.g. how norms are computed and stored
in the index has changed, which means even if you could somehow copy or merge the index over
to the new version, the norms would be incorrect.

    Mike McCandless

    http://blog.mikemccandless.com

    On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 6:46 PM, Krishnamurthy, Kannan <Kannan.Krishnamurthy@cengage.com<mailto:Kannan.Krishnamurthy@cengage.com>>