lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Rilpa Jain <Rilpa.J...@tradeweb.com>
Subject Migration to Lucene 6.5
Date Tue, 18 Jul 2017 19:52:10 GMT
Hi,

We plan to migrate from lucene 5.5 to 6.5. We have been using DocValuesTermsFilter extensively
which was deprecated in Lucene 5.5 and removed in Lucene 6.0.
The Javadoc specifies to use DocValuesTermsQuery and BoolenaClause.Occur.Filter instead. However,
as per our local tests, the time taken to search documents has increased with this change.

Below is one of the scenarios in our application -
We do a search within a search.

(Before migration to Lucene 5.5)
1.      The first search is on a text field with discrete values. (There is no pattern to
the value of this text field. Here the terms[] ranges from 1 to 200k in size.)  - We use DocValuesTermsFilter
and pass it is as Filter parameter to search method.
2.      The second search is on result of step 1- This could be either a TermQuery or NumericRangeQuery,
evaluated to query and added as query parameter to search method.

(After migration to Lucene 6.5)
1.      The first search is on a text field with discrete values. (There is no pattern to
the value of this text field. Here the terms[] ranges from 1 to 200k in size.)  - We use DocValuesTermsQuery
and add it to BooleanQuery with Occur.Filter.
2.      The second search is on result of step 1- This could be either a TermQuery or NumericRangeQuery
added to BooleanQuery with Occur.MUST.
3.      The booleanQuery is build and passed to search method.

This query execution after migration takes 5x-10x times more as compared to using DocValuesTermsFilter.

Is there a better class to generate query in our scenario than the one used above? Or is there
anything that I am missing?
Any insights would help! Thanks.

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended
solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted

Tradeweb reserves the right to monitor and review the content of all messages sent to or from
this e-mail address. Messages sent to or from this e-mail address may be stored on the Tradeweb
e-mail system.