lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Maintaining sorting order (stored fields vs DocValue fields) while upgrading Lucene version
Date Fri, 30 Jun 2017 02:44:39 GMT
1>  Is it correct that stored fields can only be sorted on if they become a
DocValue field in 5.x

no. Indexed-only fields can still be used to sort. DocValues are just more
efficient at load time and don't consume as much of the Java heap.
Essentially this latter can be thought of as moving the "uninverted"
structure from heap to MMap space.

That said, I can't think of any _good_ reason to continue to sort on
indexed="true" docValues="false" fields. Use DocValues.

2> When "updating" stored fields to DocValue fields , is it required to
update all documents in the index at the same time?

Yes. I'm assuming here you're talking about changing the schema definition
to include docValues="true". In general I advocate re-indexing everything
when upgrading major versions. Technically if you want to some
"interesting" things with low-level Lucene you can upgrade your index, Uwe
Schindler outlined the process. I copied what he said but don't understand
it ;).

I've seen some situations where people will define a _new_ field with both,
gradually re-index and when all the docs have been updated switch to using
the new field. That assumes that it's just impossible to reindex all at
once.

The question I have to ask... Why upgrade just to 5x? Solr is releasing 7.0
very shortly. I can't think of a really good reason not to jump to 6x
unless you have heavy customizations and the like. Even in that case you'll
have to upgrade eventually. And if you wind up re-indexing everything
anyway, it seems like stopping at 5x is unnecessary.

Best,
Erick