lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ludovic Bertin <l.ber...@lombardodier.com>
Subject RE: Lucene-6.2.1 -> impact of document removal on performance and index size
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2017 07:31:31 GMT
Thanks Erick for your answer, we have huge index 700Gb, 350 millions of documents
We had a case of log flooding due to a bug in an application, that generate 100 000 000 documents,
so we have deleted them, but there is no impact on indexSize without optimize.
I think it's normal, true ?

Thanks
Ludovic

-----Original Message-----
From: Erick Erickson [mailto:erickerickson@gmail.com]
Sent: mercredi, 7 juin 2017 17:57
To: java-user <java-user@lucene.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Lucene-6.2.1 -> impact of document removal on performance and index size

Try optimizing and measure your performance? Some anecdotal reports
are 5%-10%. Some higher. Some lower.

About the only time I recommend optimizing is if you have a relatively
static index, i.e. one that's say updated once/day. For
continuously-changing indexes I generally don't recommend optimizing
for a variety of reasons.

Best,
Erick