lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene Versions
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2017 18:08:23 GMT
Ah... right I misunderstood your question, thought you were asking for
the list f feature differences between 5x and 6x.

There is never much development work done that far back, this was a
special case. There will almost certainly never be features developed
on the old major version this far into the new major version.

The exception is that when a new major version is released (7.0 will
be the next) there's often quite a bit of work done on both for a
while, but it's usually:

add/fix something in trunk/7.0
backport to 6.x
backport to 5.x if and only if it's really, really important.

When 7.0 comes out, for some time it'll be:
add/fix something in trunk/8.0
backport to 7.x
backport to 6.x

Then eventually the new major version is stable/tested/etc and it
becomes increasingly hard to backport new changes. At that point
development will essentially stop on 6.x and the pattern will be
add/fix something in trunk/8.0
backport to 7.x

Best,
Erick