lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Rob Audenaerde <rob.audenae...@gmail.com>
Subject commit frequency guideline?
Date Wed, 30 Nov 2016 13:50:54 GMT
Hi all,

Currently we call commit() many times on our index (about 5M docs, where
some 10.000-100.000 modifications during the day). The commit times
typically get more expensive when the index grows, up to several seconds,
so we want to reduce the number of calls.

(Historically, we had Lucene complain about too-many uncommitted docs
sometimes, so we went with the commit often approach.)

What is a good strategy for calling commit? Fixed frequency? After X docs?
Combination?

I'm curious what is considered 'industry-standard'. Can you share some of
your expercience?

Thanks!

-Rob