lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: IndexWriter, DirectoryTaxonomyWriter & SearcherTaxonomyManager synchronization
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2016 10:11:58 GMT
On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 7:05 AM, Shai Erera <serera@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm ... the commit part of the two indexes is always tricky. The javadocs
> are correct because the order of indexing is as follows: when you index a
> document with facets, the facets are first added to the taxonomy index and
> only then the document is indexed in IW.
>
> Therefore if you concurrently index and commit, then committing TIW first
> ensures that all "known" facets up to this point are committed. Then when
> you commit IW, the documents in there are guaranteed to have their facet
> ordinals already in the committed TIW (which may at this point include more
> facets than are indexed in IW, but that's OK).

Hmm but if you commit TIW first, then IW after, isn't it possible that
after TIW commit finishes that I index a few more documents into IW
that added new taxonomy nodes/labels/ordinals and then when I call
IW.commit those last few documents are now referencing taxonomy nodes
that do not exist in the TIW commit point?

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com