lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Adrien Grand <jpou...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: docid is just a signed int32
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2016 13:55:27 GMT
No, IndexWriter enforces that the number of documents cannot go over
IndexWriter.MAX_DOCS (which is a bit less than 2^31) and
BaseCompositeReader computes the number of documents in a long variable and
ensures it is less than 2^31, so you cannot have indexes that contain more
than 2^31 documents.

Larger collections should be written to multiple shards and use
TopDocs.merge to merge results.