lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <ysee...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: no concurrent merging?
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2016 23:14:25 GMT
On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 9:35 AM, Michael McCandless
<lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
> Lucene's merging is concurrent, but Solr unfortunately uses
> UninvertingReader on each DBQ ... I'm not sure why.

It looks like DeleteByQueryWrapper was added by

But other than perhaps changing how long a DBQ takes to execute, it
should be unrelated to the question of if other merges can proceed in
parallel.

A quick look at the lucene IndexWriter code says, no... Lucene DBQ
processing cannot proceed in parallel.
IndexWriter.mergeInit is synchronized (on IW).  The DBQ processing is
called from there and thus anything else that needs the IW monitor
will block.

-Yonik