lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Parit Bansal <Parit.Ban...@sib.swiss>
Subject Re: Lucene Optimization
Date Fri, 29 Jul 2016 10:43:40 GMT
On 07/13/2016 12:43 AM, Siraj Haider wrote:
> We currently use Lucene 2.9 and to keep the indexes running faster we optimize the indexes
during night. In our application the volume of new documents coming in is very high so most
of our indexes have to merge segments during the day too, when the document count reaches
certain number. This causes tremendous slowness on the machine the online searches suffer
too to the extent that we need to restart tomcat on those machines very frequently. Right
now we are in the process to upgrade to version 6.1.0. I have read that there is no need to
optimize in 6.1.0 but what about the segment merges, will those happen as before in 6.1.0
too? I would like to know the best way to tackle this issue, so please help me out.

> ------
> Regards
> -Siraj
>

> ________________________________
>
> This electronic mail message and any attachments may contain information which is privileged,
sensitive and/or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law. The information is
intended only for the use of the individual or entity named as the addressee above. If you
are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution
(electronic or otherwise) or forwarding of, or the taking of any action in reliance on, the
contents of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic
transmission in error, please notify us by telephone, facsimile, or e-mail as noted above
to arrange for the return of any electronic mail or attachments. Thank You.

Hi Siraj,

In 2.9 lucene, underlying index was considered one big index and
therefore there was a need to optimize (read 'merge segments') index.
But (I think) since 3.5, the orientation is towards per segment
searching. Therefore as such 'no need' to merge segments. But you can
still force it in cases like based on number of documents in a segment.

- Best

Parit