lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Allison, Timothy B." <talli...@mitre.org>
Subject RE: analyzers-common VS analyzers-icu
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2016 19:04:33 GMT
That package has an ICU tokenizer and the ICUFoldingFilter.

The ICUFoldingFilter does advanced (well, Unicode compliant) case folding/lowercasing/normalization
and is critical for non-ascii languages.  You can use that in place of the AsciiFoldingFilter
and the LowerCaseFilter, and it should be far more robust on Arabic script/CJK languages.

I can't speak for how swapping in the ICUFoldingFilter may adversely affect your analysis
chain (there may be surprises with stemmers or stop lists that were designed without it),
but, generally, that's a really important filter.

I haven't looked deeply into the diffs between the StandardTokenizer and the ICUTokenizer
and can't speak to that.

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Bigham [mailto:danielb@wolfram.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 1, 2016 12:57 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: analyzers-common VS analyzers-icu

Hi,

I recently setup my code to choose the appropriate analyzer from
analyzers-common depending on the language of the user's index/field.
I then extended the existing source code to allow, for any language, to turn on/off things
like stemming, case sensitivity, etc.

Today I discovered analyzers-icu, and I don't understand how to understand analyzers-common
VS analyzers-icu.

Are they drop in replacements of each other?  Are there features in one that aren't available
in the other?  What are the pros and cons of using one or the other?

In a nutshell, the features I care about are:

- The ability to specify a language and have tokenization performed according to that language
- Obviously the more languages supported the better
- The ability to turn on/off stemming for any language (implemented myself for analyzers-common)
- The ability to turn on/off case sensitivity for any language (implemented myself for analyzers-common)

Thanks,
Daniel