lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Bigham <dani...@wolfram.com>
Subject Favoring Terms Occurring in Close Proximity
Date Fri, 24 Jun 2016 14:06:59 GMT
Something significant that I've noticed about using the default Lucene
query parser is that if your user enters a query like:

"temperate climates"

... it will get turned into an OR query:

temperate OR climates

This means that a document that contains the literal substring
"temperate climates" will be on equal footing with a document that
contains "temperate emotions may go a long way to keeping the peace as
we continue to discuss climate change".

So far as I know, your typical search engine definitely does not ignore
the relative positions of terms.

And so my question is -- how do people typically deal with this when
using Lucene?  What is wanted is a query that desires search terms to be
close together, but failing that, is ok with the terms simply occurring
in the document.

And again -- the ultimate desire isn't just to construct a Query object
to accomplish that, but to hook things up in such a way that a user can
enter a query in an input box and have the system take their flat string
and turn it into an intelligent query that acts somewhat like today's
modern search engines in terms of wanting terms to be close to each other.

This is such a "basic" use case of a search system that I'm tempted to
think there must be well worn paths for doing this in Lucene.

Thanks,
Daniel