lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Matt Savona <matt.sav...@gmail.com>
Subject disable field length normalization on specific fields?
Date Wed, 09 Mar 2016 18:23:16 GMT
Hi all,

I am trying to understand if the following is possible:

I would like to have several fields in my index which are boosted at index
time. Because they are to be boosted at index time, their field type
requires omitNorms(false).

However, I do not want field length normalization to affect the scoring of
these fields. For example, finding the term 'baseball' (1:5 words) should
score exactly the same as (1:100 words).

There are other fields in my index which are not boosted, so
omitNorms(true) is acceptable on them. However, I do not want to broadly
disable length normalization on every single field (I have at least one
where I require it). Thus, I am not certain a custom Similarity class is
appropriate.

Is it possible to simply disable length normalization on a a field-by-field
basis, while still allowing index-time boosting?

Thank you in advance!

- Matt