lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Trejkaz <trej...@trypticon.org>
Subject Re: Is there a way to share IndexReader data sensibly across independent callers?
Date Tue, 09 Feb 2016 05:12:14 GMT
On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 2:10 AM, Sanne Grinovero
<sanne.grinovero@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> you should really try to reuse the same opened Directory, like you
> suggest without closing it until your application is "done" with it in
> all its threads (normally on application shutdown).
> Keeping a Directory open will not lead to have open files, that is
> probably caused by not closing the instances of IndexReader.
>
> I'd highly recommend to use the ReaderManager for these reasons,
> especially because handling these details across different threads
> both correctly and efficiently can be tricky - I've learned that
> myself when implementing similar things before the ReaderManager was
> created.

I'm already using ReaderManager, but there are issues.

I want to close it when the last acquired index has been released, but
no thread knows anything about what indexes other threads could be
using, yet we still want indexes to be closed once nobody is using
them. So I end up having to reference count the ReaderManager, which
seems to defeat the purpose of using it in the first place since I
could just reference count the reader itself. I wish it could handle
automatically closing and reopening the index by itself, but I don't
think it can.

At the moment I have bolted this additional level of reference
counting around ReaderManager and it just creates a new ReaderManager
when the reference count goes back up to 1 and closes it when it goes
back to 0. But this blob has to be synchronised to implement it safely
and the map for looking these things up can never clean out entries,
because I couldn't find a safe way to do that even using
ConcurrentMap.

TX