lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Uwe Schindler" <...@thetaphi.de>
Subject RE: Weird ClassCastException running lucene 5.2.1 on Java 1.8.
Date Wed, 24 Feb 2016 09:16:05 GMT
Hi Kannan,

the errors you see look like JVM bugs. We have no reports about this, but as the 2nd occurrence
of this bug also refers to Java 8u65, I would say: Broken JVM.
This has nothing to do with Lucene and recompiling the sources with Java 8 will make no difference,
as this is caused by broken optimizations in the Java VM not the Java bytecode or Lucene's
source code.

Before opening bug reports anywhere be sure to:
- Update your JDK to latest: 8u74 and test again. 8u65 is coming from the 8u60+ series which
contains new optimizations that were not available before. So it is more likely to break than
e.g., earlier versions before 8u60. 8u74 may have those bugs already fixed.
- Don't run Lucene/Solr with any special JVM flags enabling aggressive optimizations: -XX:AggressiveOpts!!!
- Don't use G1GC Garbage collector.

After doing this you can further test, e.g. by reenabling G1GC and check if it breaks. You
may also contact Oracle them if you have a support contract for help. - or just open bug report
if you found out where the issue comes from.

> Are there any known issues running lucene 5.2.1 on JDK 1.8. In the meantime
> I will try compiling Lucene 5.2.1 using JDK 1.8 and see if this issues goes away.

That won't help.

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler