lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: index size growing while deleting
Date Tue, 10 Nov 2015 15:38:35 GMT
On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 6:19 AM, J├╝rgen Albert
<j.albert@data-in-motion.biz> wrote:

> In our case we had open index readers, that
> blocked the index from merging its segments and thus deleting the marked
> segments.

Small correction: merging is never blocked because of open NRT
readers.  The merging happens and finishes even if you have NRT
readers opened.

It's the deletion of the ghost (merged away) segments that can't
happen until all open readers against those segments have been closed
(and until no commit point references these segments anymore).

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com