lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From JayJones11 <jonnagadd...@gmail.com>
Subject Lucene Scoring in Exact and Phrase Matching
Date Wed, 18 Nov 2015 21:14:44 GMT
I'm fairly new to Elasticsearch and Lucene. I quickly went through the
Elasticsearch definitive guide and was able to understand how the scoring is
calculated for boolean, term and multi term queries. The basic weighting is
TF-IDF and scoring is based on custom VSM. Depending on query construction
finalqueryscore = (booleanqueryscore + termscore1+ termscore1.....) where
booleanquery, termscores are based on custom VSM.

However, I'm not very clear on what kind of scoring is used for exact and
phrase matching ? For exact match, is the score always 1 ? Similar to above,
is phrasequeryscore = booleanqueryscore + termscore1+ proximity(Edit
Distance)..... ?

The only relevant information I found is "Individual queries may combine the
TF/IDF score with other factors such as the term proximity in phrase
queries, or term similarity in fuzzy queries [1]." How exactly is proximity
combined ?

[1]
https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/guide/current/relevance-intro.html#explain