lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Bhaskar <bhaskar1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Need help in alphanumeric search
Date Mon, 05 Oct 2015 08:06:13 GMT
Hi,

when I type 143-00098 I should get all matched result i.e ( 143-00098,
143-000981, 143-0009823). also If i type 143-000 then i should 143-00098,
143-0009, 143-0001)

Looks like the searching is treating "-"( hyphen) as subtract or exclude
pages that contain a specific term..
In my case it should not exclude string after hyphen.
can you please help how to escape this.

Thanks a lot.

On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 7:06 PM, Ian Lea <ian.lea@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> .
> Sounds like you want an AND, or a +, or both. You may also want to
> take a look at phrase queries and/or span queries.
>

> --
> Ian.
>

> --
> Ian.
>

> On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 1:52 PM, Bhaskar <bhaskar1484@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Uwe,
> > my searching is working like this.
> > if i give input as "SD RAM Bhaskar" then which ever strings are having
> > "SD", "RAM", "Bhaskar" all results are coming .
> > i.e. "SD lib"
> >       "RAM hello"
> >       "hi Bhaskar "
> >       "Bhaskar hai SD"
> >

> > But I want below output.
> >        "SD RAM Bhaskar"
> >        "SD RAM Bhaskar hello"
> > i.e in the begining string have "SD RAM Bhaskar"  then next string can be
> > any thing.
> >

> > but my current application result where ever it finds the "SD", or "RAM",
> > or "Bhaskar" I am getting all the string.
> >

> > Can you please advice?
> > Thanks a lot in advance.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Bhaskar
> >

> > On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 12:23 PM, Uwe Schindler <uwe@thetaphi.de> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Bhaskar,
> >>
> >> the answer is very simple: Your analysis is not useful for the type of
> >> queries and data you are using. You are using SimpleAnalyzer in your
> >> search/indexing code:
> >>

> https://lucene.apache.org/core/5_3_1/analyzers-common/org/apache/lucene/analysis/core/SimpleAnalyzer.html
> >> "An Analyzer that filters LetterTokenizer with LowerCaseFilter"
> >>
> >> And LetterTokenizer does the following:
> >>

> https://lucene.apache.org/core/5_3_1/analyzers-common/org/apache/lucene/analysis/core/LetterTokenizer.html
> >> "A LetterTokenizer is a tokenizer that divides text at non-letters.
> That's
> >> to say, it defines tokens as maximal strings of adjacent letters, as
> >> defined by java.lang.Character.isLetter() predicate."
> >>
> >> So it creates a new token at every non-letter boundary. All non-letters
> >> are discarded (because they are treated as token boundary). So your
> queries
> >> can never match.
> >>
> >> I'd suggest to first inform yourself about analysis and choose a better
> >> one that suits your underlying data and the queries you want to do.
> Maybe
> >> use WhitespaceAnalyzer or better StandardAnalyzer as a first step. Be
> sure
> >> to reindex your data before querying. The Analyzer used on the search
> side
> >> must be the same like on the query side. If you want to use wildcards,
> you
> >> have to take care more, because wildcards are not really natural for
> "full
> >> text search engine" and may cause inconsistent results.

The index
I am able