lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From patel mrugesh <patelmruge...@yahoo.co.in>
Subject NOT Operator with Parenthesis
Date Mon, 26 Oct 2015 06:18:20 GMT
  Hi All,
We are using Lucene 4.10.3, one strange behavior we have observed when NOT operator is used
with parenthesis around.
It looks like NOT operator is completely ignored and whatever boolean operator was before
parenthesis is applied.
For example, document text: "lottery ticket", query: "lottery NOT ticket". As expected, this
query will not produce a match for this document. However, if this query is slightly modified
and converted to "lottery (NOT ticket)" or "lottery AND (NOT ticket)" then match is produced.
It behaves as if query becomes "lottery AND ticket" instead, completely ignoring NOT.
Please somebody can shed light on this?
Thanks,Mrugesh