lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mark Horninger <mhornin...@grayhairsoftware.com>
Subject RE: Does Lucene 4.6.1 compatible with Java 8?
Date Thu, 23 Jul 2015 16:23:08 GMT
Xiaoling,

I'm just a user of the Lucene (as Solr) and a newbie at that.  I can't really speak on behalf
of Lucene project, but I would start by looking at the Java 8 compatibliity guide available
at http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/8-compatibility-guide-2156366.html#A999387.

There are a few incompatibilities in there, particularly around number formatting.  It's not
entirely impossible that there were unintended challenges for their project around moving
to JDK8.

--Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Xiaolong Zheng [mailto:Xiaolong.Zheng@mathworks.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2015 12:12 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Does Lucene 4.6.1 compatible with Java 8?

We are currently planning to upgrade to Java 8, and we are using Lucene 4.6.1 right now.

The release notes for Lucene 4.8 state that it is fully compatible with Java 8 (http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/ReleaseNote48).
Does this mean that older releases of Lucene were not compatible, or just that they have not
be tested?

None of the bug fixes associated with the 4.8 release seem to be related to Java 8 compatibility.

Any advises would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Xiaolong Zheng

[GrayHair]
GHS Confidentiality Notice

This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)
or distribution of this information is prohibited, and may be punishable by law. If this was
sent to you in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the