lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Hardy Ferentschik <ha...@hibernate.org>
Subject Dynamic faceting with multi value numeric fields
Date Tue, 14 Jul 2015 16:19:30 GMT
Hi,

I am implementing dynamic faceting as described here - http://www.norconex.com/facets-with-lucene/
and running into trouble for multi value facets. For strings this is not a problem. One can
use
SortedSetDocValuesFacetField when indexing the values for faceting and SortedSetDocValuesFacetCounts
for the actual facet query. This way I can add multiple values for the same field.

When it comes to numbers I use NumericDocValuesField for indexing and LongRangeFacetCounts
for faceting
This works for single valued fields, but I cannot add multiple numeric values as with
SortedSetDocValuesFacetField. If I try to add multiple NumericDocValuesField  I get an excption
during indexing. Changing to a SortedNumericDocValuesField, I can add mutliple numeric values
during
index time, but then I get an exception when using LongRangeFacetCounts.

Is there a reason why dynamic faceting does not work for multi value numeric fields? Is this
limitation of the Lucene engine or would it be possible in general? Is there a potential workaround?

Any help appreciated,
Hardy