lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Anna Maier <A.Ma...@topdesk.com>
Subject RE: Memory problem with TermQuery
Date Mon, 08 Jun 2015 10:46:05 GMT
Hi Alan,

you are right, we are calling rewrite on our query at some point. Ok, it would probably be
an option to take that out.
Thanks for the hint!

Best,
Anna

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan Woodward [mailto:alan@flax.co.uk]
Sent: Montag, 8. Juni 2015 12:23
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Memory problem with TermQuery

Hi Anna,

In normal usage, perReaderTermState will be null, and TermQuery will be very lightweight.
 It's in particular expert use cases (generally after queries have been rewritten against
a specific IndexReader) that the perReaderTermState will be initialized.  Are you cacheing
rewritten queries somehow?

Alan Woodward
www.flax.co.uk

On 8 Jun 2015, at 10:49, Anna Maier wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we ran into a memory problem with TermQuery: in our program, we build a TermQuery object
from the user input and pass it around, to be able to different things, like execute the query
again and so on. So, the TermQuery object can potentially exist for some time.
> Now it turns out, that a TermQuery keeps a reference to an IndexReader (via the perReaderTermState
field).
> This keeps our program from throwing old readers away when new ones are opened. This
has quite an impact on the required memory, especially for big indices. It is not feasible
anymore now to keep a reference to a TermQuery for longer.

> I'm wondering: is this a bug? After all, I would have expected the TermQuery to be a
lightweight object. Or is the TermQuery not intended to be passed around in the program at
all?