lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Specifying a Version vs. not specifying a Version
Date Fri, 29 May 2015 23:33:30 GMT

: Now StandardTokenizer(Version, Reader) is deprecated and the docs say
: to use StandardTokenizer(Reader) instead. But I can't do that, because
: that constructor hardcodes Version.LATEST, which will break backwards
: compatibility in the future (its Javadoc even confirms that this is
: the case.)

Welcome to the wonderful world of "Lucene Analysis Compatibility
Post-LUCENE-5859" !

If you have a strong stomach, reading that issue might help you understand
some of the arguments made for/against pruning "Version" from much of the
analysis APIs -- I can't honestly tell you what the final
decision/justification for the current state of things is (or even if the
issue comments reflect it, whatever it was -- or if the final decision was
made in a diff jira) because I stoped following the issue once I started
being personally attacked for making technical arguments.

My best understanding based on what I see in the current code, is that if
you care about backcompat:

 * you must call setVersion() on any *Analyzer* instances you construct
before using them
 * you must *not* construct Tokenizers or TokenFilter's directly --
instead you must use the corrisponding Factory and pass the
LUCENE_MATCH_VERSION_PARAM to request an instance.

the Analyzers and Factories are now the only things that worry about
Version semantics, and instantiate diff classes or call diff methods on
the objects they instantiate, as needed to "best fit" the Version you have
specified.

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/