lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: BytesRef violates the principle of least astonishment
Date Wed, 20 May 2015 23:44:11 GMT

: I already know how Object#clone() works:

May i humbly suggest that you: a) relax a bit; b) keep reading the
rest of the javadocs for that method?

: As BytesRef#clone() is overriding Object#clone(), I expect it to
: comply with that.

BytesRef#clone() functions virtually identical to the way Object#clone
functions, as noted in the *remainder* of the method javadocs you
quoted...

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/lang/Object.html#clone%28%29

>> ...this method creates a new instance of the class of this object and
>> initializes all its fields with exactly the contents of the corresponding
>> fields of this object, as if by assignment; the contents of the fields
>> are not themselves cloned. Thus, this method performs a "shallow copy"
>> of this object, not a "deep copy" operation.

...regardless of what convention is *suggested*, BytesRef behaves in the
manor consistent with Object#clone, and in the manor consistent with the
*purpose* of the class (to be a *Reference*) and in the manor that gives
the most flexibility for it's use -- if it did a deep clone by default, we
might as well just use byte[] everywhere in the API.

: Essentially, BytesRef
: cannot be used as an object.
: If Lucene wanted a shallow clone, it could have added shallowClone() while

If you really feel strongly about this, and want to advocate for more
consistency arround the meaning/implementation of "clone()" in Java APIs,
i suggest you take it up with the Open JDK project, and focus on a more
high visibility, widely used (in the Java community as a whole)
class, such as ArrayList, HashSet, or HashMap etc...  (all of which
implement Clonable, and all of which are documented as implementing
Object#clone by making a shallow copy)

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/util/ArrayList.html#clone%28%29
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/util/HashSet.html#clone%28%29
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/util/HashMap.html#clone%28%29