lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Olivier Binda <olivier.bi...@wanadoo.fr>
Subject Re: BytesRef violates the principle of least astonishment
Date Wed, 20 May 2015 05:21:07 GMT
My take :
Indeed BytesRef is mutable
This happens for performance reasons, to avoid unnecessary object
creations and unecessary copying and Also to workaround
the java "issue" that most of the time  you need to pass an array with
an offset and length in methods for performance but you don't want to
create an array every time you have to do that

In your case, you are supposed to copy your bytes because, indeed, the
bytesRef will change everytime you call a lucene method on it
(it is mutable) and the array it points to will change too because these
might be internal arrays of readers/buffers/codecs
(and you don't know the internal working of those)...

Also, in my opinion,
Lucene rocks