lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Anand Bhagwat <abbhagwa...@gmail.com>
Subject Lucene not merging frequently causing huge index size
Date Mon, 27 Apr 2015 11:15:31 GMT
Let me explain the usage scenario:
I have an application with frequent doucment updates and it uses NRT
reader. I also have a background thread which calls commit on the
IndexWriter on a regular interval. There is one instance of IndexWriter
which is created and it is never closed.

The problem is that Lucene is creating lot of files and huge index which is
way much more than the size of documents. This size is not reduced despite
the lucene merge running in the background. (I am using the
default TieredMergePolicy and ConcurrentMergeScheduler).

I also tried running a background thread calling IndexWriter.maybeMerge()
at regular interval still the size of the index is not changing.

I then tried calling IndexWriter.close() at regular interval and found that
this actually reduces the size of index and performs merging.

So my question is what is the suggested way of using IndexWriter? Do I need
to close it on regular intervals?
Also why merge which is running in the background is not reducing the index
size?

Thanks,
Anand Bhagwat.