lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Fielder, Todd Patrick" <tpfi...@sandia.gov>
Subject general question
Date Mon, 30 Mar 2015 17:07:30 GMT
Hello,

I'm new to Lucene and am looking for advice.  I'm wanting to search the entire DB (or almost
the entire DB) for a keyword.  The users also want to know which field the string occurred
in.

I can think of two ways to do this, but neither are ideal and I'm looking for suggestions:

1)      Search the entire DB and add all the text I want to search to a single string and
store that string.  Then create a query against that string...Using this approach, is there
any way to know which field the match it is in?  Context highlighting is not sufficient, they
want the DB column of the match...we are using EclipseLink/JPA (but are considering switching
to Hibernate)

2)      Query every single field checking for results with each query (this seems slow (and
tedious!))

Any help is greatly appreciated

-Todd