lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: is this lucene 4.1.0 bug in PerFieldPostingsFormat
Date Thu, 05 Mar 2015 19:01:15 GMT
On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 12:12 PM, Paul Taylor <paul_t100@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On 05/03/2015 15:53, Paul Taylor wrote:
>>
>> On 05/03/2015 14:43, Michael McCandless wrote:
>>>
>>> It looks like field was null?
>>>
>>> Back in 4.1.0 we just assert field != null, but in newer releases it's
>>> a real check.
>>>
>>> Mike McCandless
>>
>> Hi, thankyou Il try and get the query logged for when it next happens
>
> Okay here are two lucene queries that cause the issue
>
> artist:pandora /reyli barba recording:Solo el y yo/Alguien llena mi lugar
>
> artist:Jeremih recording:Rated R (The Masterpiece) (Bear//Face Bootleg Edit)
>

> So I think the problem is that the users are not aware of the regular
> expression syntax, escaping or removing the slashes and it works
>
> (Interestingly just removing one of the slashes
>
> artist:pandora /reyli barba recording:Solo el y yo Alguien llena mi lugar
>
> gives me the ParseException instead of the NullPointerException
> )

Which query parser are you using?  Seems like a bug if that query
parser can do this ...

> But how can I fix this at my end so that Lucene returns an ParseException
> rather than NullPointerException ?

We need to fix the query parser.

> Do you know the earliest verion of Lucene after 4.1.0 to handle this ?

Sorry I don't offhand ... though the fix is to throw
IllegalArgumentException instead of NPE.

Why not just upgrade to the latest bugfix (4.10.4)?

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com