lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Manjesh Nilange <manjesh.nila...@airbnb.com.INVALID>
Subject Filters execution efficiency
Date Wed, 18 Mar 2015 01:59:44 GMT
Hi all,

I have recently started to learn about Lucene and I'm a little confused
about how Filters work. I am going through the "Lucene in Action" book and
did some Internet research, but haven't found an answer yet, hence this
email...

>From basic experimentation, I know that Filters work on the entire document
set (before the inverted index is looked up). Why not run the filters on
the hits after the index lookup? That'd reduce the number of filter
executions...I don't imagine that running the filters first would
effectively reduce the size of the index (making the lookup faster). Any
guidance is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,