lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Taylor <paul_t...@fastmail.fm>
Subject Re: is this lucene 4.1.0 bug in PerFieldPostingsFormat
Date Thu, 05 Mar 2015 21:27:52 GMT
On 05/03/2015 19:01, Michael McCandless wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 12:12 PM, Paul Taylor <paul_t100@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>>> Hi, thankyou Il try and get the query logged for when it next happens
>> Okay here are two lucene queries that cause the issue
>>
>> artist:pandora /reyli barba recording:Solo el y yo/Alguien llena mi lugar
>>
>> artist:Jeremih recording:Rated R (The Masterpiece) (Bear//Face Bootleg Edit)
>>

>> So I think the problem is that the users are not aware of the regular
>> expression syntax, escaping or removing the slashes and it works
>>
>> (Interestingly just removing one of the slashes
>>
>> artist:pandora /reyli barba recording:Solo el y yo Alguien llena mi lugar
>>
>> gives me the ParseException instead of the NullPointerException
>> )
> Which query parser are you using?  Seems like a bug if that query
> parser can do this ...
ClassicQueryParser, but the point is that we provide a webservice that
allow users to use the full query syntax as it would be impossible to
second guess what the user may want to do so I dont there is a bug in
the queryparser in that that way.  We just receive a text string that we
send to Lucene, I would hope if the syntax was incorrect Lucene would
just give a ParseException
>> But how can I fix this at my end so that Lucene returns an ParseException
>> rather than NullPointerException ?
> We need to fix the query parser.
>
>> Do you know the earliest verion of Lucene after 4.1.0 to handle this ?
> Sorry I don't offhand ... though the fix is to throw
> IllegalArgumentException instead of NPE.
Why not ParseException ?
> Why not just upgrade to the latest bugfix (4.10.4)?

In the past Ive generally tried to use the latest version of Lucene, but
there are usually at least some changes required even updating minor
versions. So  expect 4.10.4 will give me more issues, and if its going
to throw IllegalArgumentException rather than ParseExeption not sure
that helpful.

Paul