lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Biyyala, Shishir (Contractor)" <Shishir_Biyy...@cable.comcast.com>
Subject Question regarding SolrIndexSearcher implementation
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2015 21:21:10 GMT
Hello,

I did not know what the right mailing list would be (java-user vs solr-user), so mailing both.

My group uses solr/lucene, and we have custom collectors.

I stumbled upon the implementation of SolrIndexSearcher.java and saw this :

https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/blob/trunk/solr/core/src/java/org/apache/solr/search/SolrIndexSearcher.java
 (line 1676)

" TopDocs topDocs = topCollector.topDocs(0, len);" the topDocs "start" value is always being
hardcoded to 0;

What that is leading to is creating of excessive topDocs that the application actually needs;
My application can potentially be faced with deep pagination and we do not use queryresults
cache.

If I request for 200-250 docs,

I was expecting start=199, howMany=51;
But turns out that start=0 (always) and howMany=250

Any reasons why start value is hardcoded to 0? Please suggest. It is potentially impacting
performance of our application.

Thanks much,
Shishir