lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Martin Wunderlich <martin.wunderl...@gmx.net>
Subject Upgrading Lucene from 3.5 to 4.10 - how to handle Java API changes
Date Sun, 11 Jan 2015 08:18:00 GMT
Hi all,

I am currently in the process of upgrading a search engine application from Lucene 3.5.0 to
version 4.10.3. There have been some substantial API changes in version 4 that break backward
compatibility. I have managed to fix most of them, but a few issues remain that I could use
some help with:

"cannot override final method from Analyzer"
The original code extended the Analyzer class and the overrode tokenStream(...).

@Override
    CharStream charStream = CharReader.get(reader);
    return
        new LowerCaseFilter(version,
            new SeparationFilter(version,
                new WhitespaceTokenizer(version,
                    new HTMLStripFilter(charStream))));
}
But this method is final now and I am not sure how to understand the following note from the
change log:

"ReusableAnalyzerBase has been renamed to Analyzer. All Analyzer implementations must now
use Analyzer.TokenStreamComponents, rather than overriding .tokenStream() and .reusableTokenStream()
(which are now final). "

There is another problem in the method quoted above:

"The method get(Reader) is undefined for the type CharReader"
There seem to have been some considerable changes here, too.

"TermPositionVector cannot be resolved to a type"
This class is gone now in Lucene 4. Are there any simple fixes for this? From the change log:
"The term vectors APIs (TermFreqVector, TermPositionVector, TermVectorMapper) have been removed
in favor of the above flexible indexing APIs, presenting a single-document inverted index
of the document from the term vectors."

Probably related to this: 4. "The method getTermFreqVector(int, String) is undefined for the
type IndexReader."

Both problems occur here, for instance:

TermPositionVector termVector = (TermPositionVector) reader.getTermFreqVector(...);
("reader" is of Type IndexReader)

I would appreciate any help with these issues. Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers,

Martin

PS: FYI, I have posted the same question on Stackoverflow: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/27881296/upgrading-lucene-from-3-5-to-4-10-how-to-handle-java-api-changes?noredirect=1#comment44166161_27881296