lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Uwe Schindler" <...@thetaphi.de>
Subject RE: issue with IndexUpgrader
Date Thu, 29 Jan 2015 13:33:06 GMT
Hi Ken,

the reason for this behaviour is the following:
Index upgrader does not really do any special stuff to upgrade the index, it just uses standard
APIs. It implements a custom UpgradeMergePolicy that just looks for index segments which are
in an older format when doing a forceMerge(1) [aka "optimize"]. All those index segments are
queued for merging. After merging, it will of course write a new segments file, because the
index changed and IndexWriter was closed.

What happens in your zero-segment case is simple: There are no segments at all, so no segments
are chosen for merging. So forceMerge(1) is a no-op and no new index metadata is written by
IndexWriter. Unfortunately there is no easy way around. One possibility would be to check,
if the index has zero segments and then add/remove a dummy document and commit. An alternative
is to use filesystem magic and replace the index, as you suggested.

You might open a bug report for Lucene so we can fix this interesting corner case in IndexUpgrader,
and we can fix it in later versions, but we cannot do this in 3.x anymore, because the development
has ended there.

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler