lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Piotr Idzikowski <piotridzikow...@gmail.com>
Subject Lucene DocValuesField, SortedDocValuesField usage for filtering and sorting
Date Mon, 15 Dec 2014 20:16:54 GMT
Hello.
I am going to switch to newest (4.10.2) version of Lucene and I'd like to
make some optimization in my index and code. I would like to use
DocValuesField to get values but also for filtering and sorting. So here I
have some questions: If I'd like to use range filter
(FieldCacheRangeFilter) I need to store a value in XxxDocValuesField, but
if i want to use terms filter (FieldCacheTermsFilter) I need to store a
value in SortedDocValuesField. So it looks like if I want to use range and
terms filters I need to have two different fields. Am I right? Am I using
it correctly?

Another thing is Sort. I can choose between SortedNumericSortField and
SortField. First one requires SortedNumericDocValues, another
NumericDocValuesField. Is there any(big) difference in performance? Should
I use SortedNumericSortField (adding another field to the index)?

And the last one. Am I right that all corresponding DocValuesField will be
removed from index when doc is removed? I saw an IndexWriter method for an
update doc value but no delete method for doc value.

Regards Piotr