lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "david.w.smiley@gmail.com" <david.w.smi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Distance between 2 points Lucene Spatial
Date Mon, 22 Dec 2014 14:02:41 GMT
Hi Ankit,

Vincenty is the most accurate one — it is the benchmark for the other 2’s
tests for the true answer.  In theory it produces the same answers as the
other 2 simpler formulas you mention but is “numerically robust” for
computers.  Note that the world model used by Spatial4j when in “geo” mode
is a spherical model.  For more accurate distance computation on Earth, use
an ellipsoidal model.  If you google “Vincenty”, it's easy to find
Vincenty’s ellipsoidal formula with the constants for Earth; that is most
often what he is associated with.

~ David Smiley
Freelance Apache Lucene/Solr Search Consultant/Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley