lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael Sokolov <msoko...@safaribooksonline.com>
Subject Re: including self-joins in parent/child queries
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2014 01:42:14 GMT
Looking at the code, there are explicit checks for if (childId ==
parentId) throw an exception ...

It seems to me that instead, the logic *could* be if (childId ==
parentId) then --- accumulate the parentId as if it were a child *and*
terminate the block.

In your phraseology, we could change "A child's parent is the closest
parent docId that is larger than the child's docId." to "A child's
parent is the closest parent docId that is greater than or equal to the
child's docId."

I agree that the solution to my problem (without changing Lucene) is to
index the parent doc fields in a new child doc (we use a docType field
to distinguish -- changing the names of all the fields at this point
would be kind of painful).  But I was just curious whether there was any
reason in principle that a doc could not be its own parent.

-Mike