lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Uwe Schindler" <...@thetaphi.de>
Subject RE: BTRFS ?
Date Mon, 22 Dec 2014 10:39:10 GMT
Hi Dawid,

there are cool things that might be useful just not for Lucene's Java code. Like ZFS it now
has snapshot functionality and you can copy files mostly without doing I/O (shallow-copy,
it uses copy-on-write semantics to do that). This might be useful for backup purposes. I know
we did most of this already in the index file format, it might just be a good idea to investigate
this e.g. for the snapshot/backup functionality of Elasticsearch. You can also quickly put
an index on a separate subvolume, so you can manage it separately from your other filesystems.
Those subvolumes are extensible without hassle if they get too small (you can also overallocate
the real available space). You can also quickly turn subvolumes into RAIDs.

What is also interesting, is a slightly different approach for journaling. This might improve
performance for us, not yet tested.

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler