lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Taylor <paul_t...@fastmail.fm>
Subject Re: Does StandardTokenizer remove punctuation (in Lucene 4.1)
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2014 20:22:50 GMT
On 01/10/2014 18:42, Steve Rowe wrote:
> Paul,
>
> Boilerplate upgrade recommendation: consider using the most recent Lucene release (4.10.1)
- it’s the most stable, performant, and featureful release available, and many bugs have
been fixed since the 4.1 release.
Yeah sure, I did try this and hit a load of errors but I certainly will
do so.
> FYI, StandardTokenizer doesn’t find word boundaries for Chinese, Japanese, Korean,
Thai, and other languages that don’t use whitespace to denote word boundaries, except those
around punctuation.  Note that Lucene 4.1 does have specialized tokenizers for Simplified
Chinese and Japanese: the smartcn and kuromoji analysis modules, respectively.
So for Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai etc its just identifying that the
chars are from said language, and then we can do something clever with
it with subsequent filters such as CJBigramFilter right ?
My big trouble is my code is meant to deal with any language  and I dont
know what language it in except by looking at the characters themselves
AND i also have to deal with stuff that contains symbols, funny
punctuation etc
> It is possible to construct a tokenizer just based on pure java code - there are several
examples of this in Lucene 4.1, see e.g. PatternTokenizer, and CharTokenizer and its subclasses
WhitespaceTokenizer and LetterTokenizer.

Ah yes I discovered this today, what I would really like is a version of
the jflex StandardTokenizer but written in pure Java making it easier to
tweak it, but I'm a little concerned that If I naively write it from
scratch I may create something that doesnt perform very well.

Paul