lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Toke Eskildsen ...@statsbiblioteket.dk>
Subject Re: Speed up searching in multiple-thread?
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2014 08:47:21 GMT
On Mon, 2014-09-15 at 09:10 +0200, Harry Yu wrote:
> I'm developing poi search application using lucene 4.8 . Recently, I
> met a trouble that the performance of IndexSearcher.search is bad in
> multiple-thread environment. According the test results, I found that
> if thread number is 1,  the response time of searching is only 17ms.
> But that would be 400ms when I increased threads to 30.

With a single thread you have 1000ms/s / 17ms ~= 59 searches/second.
For 30 threads you have 1000ms/s / 400ms * 30 = 75 searches/second

As you have a dual-core machine, the ideal outcome would be 2*59 = 118
searches/second. Accounting for fluctuations in measuring, more GC and a
bit of congestion, it does not seem unreasonable with 75.

(17ms/search seems like quite a long time for such a small index, but
that is independent of the threading issue)

What was the expected outcome of your test?

- Toke Eskildsen, State and University Library, Denmark