lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From atawfik <contact.txl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Arabic Stemmer problem
Date Tue, 09 Sep 2014 22:37:30 GMT
Hi Suleman,

It is not a bug, it is the intended behavior. In fact, your examples  are
correct. It is just the daily usage for these words has changed recently.

For instance, "سيار" means actually something that moves or walks. Since
people use mobile everywhere, the word now means mobile. That is why a car
is called "سياره"; it keeps moving.

The word "شاحن" means something that loads things. Hence, Arabs use it to
represent what a charger does; loading electricity to your battery.
Similarly, "شاحنه" is derived from the root "شحن", which means to load or
charge. Since when we use a truck we actually load things, the word "شاحنه"
means truck.

Regards
Ameer