lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Tri Cao <tm...@me.com>
Subject Re: Can Lucene based application be made to work with Scaled Elastic Beanstalk environemnt on Amazon Web Services
Date Sat, 28 Jun 2014 05:55:34 GMT
I would just use S3 as a data push mechanism. In your servlet's init(), you
could download the index from S3 and unpack it to a local directory, then
initialize your Lucene searcher to that directory.

Downloading from S3 to EC2 instances is free, and 5G would take a minute or two.
Also, if you pack the index inside your war file, the new instance has to download
that data anyway.

The big advantage is it also allows you to update your index without repacking your
deployment .war. Just upload the new index to the same location in S3, then restart
your webapp :)

Hope this helps,
Tri