lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Custom Sorting
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2014 19:51:07 GMT
I'm a little confused here. Sure, sorting on a number of fields will
increase memory, the basic idea here is that you need to cache all the
sort values (plus support structures) for performance reasons.

If you create your own custom sort that goes out to a DB and gets the
doc, you have to be prepared for
q=*:*&sort=custom_function
Which means you'll have to fetch the value for each and every document
in the index. If this is a DB call, it will NOT perform.

In order to be performant, you'll need to cache the values. Which is
what is being done _for_ you by the FieldCache.

So I think this is really a false path, or an "XY" problem. Why do you
think you need to do this?

Best,
Erick

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 10:31 AM, Sandeep Khanzode
<sandeep_khanzode@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to implement a sort order for search results in Lucene 4.7.2.
>
> If I want to use data for ordering that is not stored in Lucene as Fields, is there any
way this can be done?
> Basically, I would have certain data that is associated logically to a document but stored
elsewhere, like a DB. Can I create a Custom Sort function on the lines of a FieldComparator
to sort based on this data by plugging it inside the sort function?

> I have tested the performance of the Sort function for String and numeric types, and
as mentioned in some blog, it seems that the numeric type is much faster compared to the string
type. However, if I sort on a number of fields from multiple clients, the memory footprint,
due to the FieldCache.DEFAULT impl, increases approximately 5-6 times. If I run this on a
machine which does not have this capacity, will I get a OOM or will there be intense thrashing
for the memory?