lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: [lucene 4.6] NPE when calling IndexReader#openIfChanged
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2014 11:15:08 GMT
On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 3:02 AM, Clemens Wyss DEV <clemensdev@mysign.ch> wrote:
>> limit how many fields have norms enabled
> We have one index for approx 7000 pdfs (24GB). Of course no content is STOREd (but ANALYZEd).
This very index occupies 4GB on disk and the corresponding IndexReader is 60MB.
> Are norms per default enabled org.apache.lucene.document .TextField?

Yes.  Norms are a good idea for "large text fields", e.g. body text or
a catch all field, but usually not a good idea for tiny fields (e.g.
title).

>> use disk-based doc values not field cache
> How is this done?

Add XXXDocValuesField instead of e.g. StringField.

>> etc.
> such as? ;)

Upgrade to the upcoming Lucene 4.9; there have been some improvements
e.g. to norms compression.  You can tune your terms index settings,
but terms index usually doesn't use much RAM.

You can fire up your up, get all searchers warmed, and take a heap
dump and see what's using RAM.  We can iterate from there.

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com